Latest Journey (2023)

USA Trip: I'm Going to Hollywood!

Sunday 13 May 2018

Cambodia Trip: Pearl of Asia

Landed at Phnom Penh International Airport at 4pm local time, my adventure on the Khmer Land commenced the moment I walked out from the terminal with my 70 litre Slazenger backpack. I only have 7 pieces of 100 USD notes at the time and the friendly lady at the customer service counter advised me to buy something at the stores nearby in order to have small changes in KHR for using public bus (which cost 1500 Riel). Bought my first coffee and waited for bus just right outside the airport in which there was then I first experienced the heat of Cambodia, which is much hotter than Malaysia. There was this cute baby boy with his mother sitting opposite of me during my way to the city. It was about 40 minutes bus ride.

My first coffee once touched down in Phnom Penh

Checking in at Panorama Mekong Hostel, it was already close to dinner time. The hostel is strategically located at the street of eateries and bars. Be warned that you need to walk up four flights of stairs to reach the place. The place cost 13.50 dollars for 3 nights stay. The rate doesn't include breakfast but can be ordered over the counter. The common lounge is essentially a bar where you can order drinks. The hostel is run by a foreigner.

The view from my hostel at night towards Mekong River

Have heard my friends talking about "Happy Pizza" when they travelled to Cambodia. Coincidentally one of the famous eateries for it is located right below my hostel, unplanned. The pizza costs 6.50 dollars and I had it all by myself. Back in Amsterdam I could smell the weed on the street though I never know how did it taste like. The pizza tasted rather usual for me. I didn't think I was "high" after the pizza, neither "happy". After a full dinner, I called it a day after whole day of travelling.

"Happy Pizza" - ordinary pizza that infused with weed

Waking up the next morning, I was feeling dizzy when I stood up. Unsure if it was due to the tiredness of travelling or it was the post effect of the weed pizza that I had. At one point, I did feel want to vomit. I rested for most of the morning before getting some snacks at the convenience store to execute the itinerary of Day 1 in Cambodia.

My first stop is the National Museum of Cambodia, which is just right behind my hostel. With 10 dollar entrance fee, the museum features mostly statues from the pre and post Angkorian era. It was a rather small museum which can be sufficiently covered in one hour. If you are not really familiar with history, this can be skipped (considering the steep entrance fee).

The centre of the museum. Liking this landscape

Next in my agenda is the Royal Palace. However, the palace is not open during lunch hour. Rested at the hostel (to fully recover from morning dizziness) and lunched. The palace is accessible at 10.25 dollars. No shorts is allowed (3-quarter pants is acceptable) and shoulder-revealing top is forbidden. Plain shirt is available at the site for purchase in case your outfits don't fit the regulations.

Jade Buddha is housed within this building. No photos is allowed inside

Silver Pagoda at Royal Palace

After 2 hours at the palace, I walked towards the Independence Monument which is around 20 minutes. Had a quick shot of the structure, I proceed to my next destination which is the Genocide Museum. Point to note that these sites are walkable from one place to another (except for Killing Fields), in which the furthest is around 30 minutes walk. However, one can always opt for "tuk tuk" which can only cost for few dollars for each journey. It's relatively safe to cross the road, in my opinion as the cars on the road will slow down letting you to pass, somewhat.

Independence Monument during daytime

Independence Monument during night time

I initially planned this place to be on Day 2 but looking at the remaining time that I have, I made it in time  for an hour visit. The museum (also known as Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum) entrance fee is 8 dollars which inclusive of audio guide. Formerly a high school, the site is one of the prominent sites to be used as prison (S-21) during Khmer Rouge where the accused were being interrogated mercilessly. Photos and stories of the prisoners are exhibited in some of the rooms and I couldn't imagine the life they are going through, waiting for sentences. It's just the matter of time. Some of the buildings are even wired on the exterior to prevent the prisoners from committing suicide. They couldn't even decide their own death.

One of the torturing rooms
Mugshots of the prisoners

The torturing site

The wired building, preventing the prisoners from committing suicide (instead of escaping)

Some of the cells on the second level. Can't imagine how to live in such conditions. The thought of it gives me chills.

Khmer Rouge may have ended in 1979 but the remnants are still felt till these days. The stories of the survivors continue to inspire

I saw Aeon Mall appeared on my map and decided to drop by on my way back to the hostel. I would think this is one of the few modern malls they have in Cambodia which as the common retail shops that we have in Malaysia. Bought myself a Chatime drink and I'm getting ready for Day 2.

There's Padini at Phnom Penh!

The very next day started with a trip to Killing Fields, a complementary experience after Genocide Museum. Return trip of "tuk tuk" cost 15 dollar and the entrance of the killing fields cost 6 dollars, inclusive of audio guide as well. This site is the infamous site where the prisoners from the museum were being prosecuted. Take a moment and listen to every story at certain stops. The one with the killing tree is particularly disturbing.

It's gruesome to visualise that babies were hit against this tree

I saw this lady with another guy was setting this up when I was there. There's chinese grave within this compound, which was there way before this place was turned to killing sites

The skulls of the prosecuted recovered from the site, with cause of death labelled within the cabinet


Heading back to the city after 2 hours at the site and lunched at the Central Market. The market sells wide range of things; from daily groceries to souvenirs. There are both dry and wet markets too.

The central of the Central Market. Stalls of jewellery in sight

My lunch: they call it Cambodia Pasta. Cost me 5000 Riel.

This mall is rather small and this Hard Rock cafe is newly open, which is around 4 months during the time of my visit

Have been seeing this cafe around so I thought to give it a try

As I was approaching my hostel, I decided to stop by one of the wats at the capital. Knowing that Angkot Wat will be my ultimate stop for this whole trip so I didn't really prioritise wats in my PP itinerary. Since it is on the way, so I might as well have a quick visit. This particular wat is Ounalom Wat and is accessible with 1 dollar for tourist. It is said that the hill where the wat is on is man-made.


Wat Ounalom

It was only around 3pm when I was done for the day. Rested at the hostel and I decided to go for an evening jog by the Mekong River. I could see there are many locals and tourists did the same at the river front. I even saw some of them playing football at one of the areas.

The riverfront is lit at night. (and I am a proud Malaysian!)

I had my last dinner at Phnom Penh at Friends the Restaurant, one of the restaurants under TREE Alliance which supports the development of local youths. The price may be on the high side but the dishes are commendable. This particular restaurant is just located within walking distance from my hostel.

Khmer Banana Blossom Salad with Chicken, Pork Belly and Crispy Wonton. The taste reminded me of "Umai" back home. Nyummy.

Banana and Cashew Nuts Milkshake

2 days are adequate for me to cover the must-sees in Phnom Penh. That is even with rather relaxing pace for me to cover the places mentioned in this entry. Since I am in it for another 10 days, some places I crossed them out in PP list as I am anticipating more from the upcoming city.

My last sunrise in Phnom Penh before heading to the next city
Phnom Penh - Sihanoukville - Koh Rong Island - Battambang - Siem Reap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by!